You are here
Diseases, Conditions and Treatments
The Consumer Health Page is a Charlottesville Community Web resource maintained by the University of Virginia Claude Moore Health Sciences Library. It is intended to aid the health consumer in locating information on medical conditions and available treatment.
- MEDLINEplus(R) Web site produced by the National Library of Medicine. Search the database or click on the alphabetical arrangement of topics.
- MayoClinic.com Mayo Clinic Web page with a search engine to retrieve information on medical conditions.
- Informed Health Online An evidence-based consumer and patient health site developed by the German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care.
- Health News Review Helps consumers evaluate the evidence for and against new ideas in health care.
- Intellihealth Featuring Harvard Medical School's consumer health information. Information on symptoms and treatments, journal databases, a medical dictionary, FAQs, and more.
- Lab Tests Online The American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) developed this site as a single resource specific to clinical lab tests and the topics that relate to them
- Genetics Home Reference A consumer friendly guide to understanding genetic conditions
- Merck Manual-Home Edition Full access to the contents of the consumer-oriented edition of this trusted medical textbook. Search either the text-based or interactive version.
- UpToDate Beyond The Basics Information for patients at an advanced reading level, from a source that is popular with many clinicians.
- Examine.com Information on nutrition and supplements from an unbiased source. Research reports, not supplements, are available for sale in their online store.
- Virginia Department of Health Up-to-date information about state health alerts and emergency preparedness as well as links to local health districts.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Virginia. NAMI was created in 1985 to provide support, education, and advocacy for individuals and families in Virginia affected by mental illness.
- SeniorNavigator SeniorNavigator provides free information about health and aging resources available to Virginians. Searching by ZIP code identifies the resources available in a specific community.
- 2-1-1 Virginia 2-1-1 links users to specialists who can refer them to a broad range of services, including affordable housing, health resources, child care, and elderly care.
- VHI Virginia Health Information Contains consumer health guides as well as statistical data and contact information for hospitals and long term care facilities in Virginia. Some reports are for purchase only.
- Virginia Health Information Project
The VHIP is a not-for-profit effort to give Virginians an easy-to-use- source of reliable health information.
- OncoLink Information on cancer including disease-oriented menus, treatments, clinical trials and FAQs from the University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center.
- HIV InSite Provides extensive information on AIDS including prevention, statistics, social policy, other related topics, and patient fact sheets.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Web page available through the National Institute of Health includes fact sheets for practitioners and the public, a database with citations from the medical literature and press releases on alternative medicine news.
- Traveler's Health Information In this Web page the National Center for Infectious Diseases provides health information on traveling overseas.
- TransWeb: All About Transplantation and Donation This Web site includes reference articles, FAQs, and contact information for transplantation and donation topics.
- Health Info Handouts Information handouts for patients from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- Online Consumer Health Page National Institute of Health publications on a variety of topics including acne, transplantation, and HIV infections.
- MEDLINEplus(R): Drug Information This consumer Web page provides a guide to more than 9,000 prescription and over-the-counter medications and can be searched by the generic or brand name of the drug. It includes a description, dosage, and side effects of each drug.
- Consumer Reports: Best Buy Drugs Reports and information to guide consumers and doctors in making more cost-effective prescription drug choices.
- Drug Information Portal - National Library of Medicine Selected drug information on more than 12,000 drugs from the National Library of Medicine and other key government agencies.
- Safemedication.com Uses a search engine to allow retrieval of information on medication by brand or generic name.
- RXMED RXMED provides drug and illness information as well as herbal and dietary supplement information.
- NeedyMeds The NeedyMeds Web page was developed to identify information about drug assistance programs. The Web page describes eligibility requirements and how to enroll in the program.
- ClinicalTrials.gov Clinical Research Trials with information on medications and treatments currently under investigation by the government.
- AMA Doctor Finder Web page from the American Medical Association designed as a reference tool of demographic and professional information on physicians in the United States.
- American Dental Association Directory Online Directory of dentists in the United States.
- American Hospital Directory This directory provides comparative data for most hospitals. Information includes hospital characteristics, services provided, and costs and charges.
Information for consumers about health care reform.
- HealthGrades.Com The Health Grades Web is a commercial Web site that rates hospitals, physicians, health plans, nursing homes, home health agencies, and hospices.
- Hospital Compare Check your hospital for Process of Care measures. These show whether or not hospitals provide some of the care that is recommended for patients.
- Physician Certification This site contains all physicians certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
- PubMed Database from the National Library of Medicine providing citations to the medical journal literature.
- PubMed Tutorial Online tutorial for searching the PubMed database