Health Resources for UVA Rural and Global Partners
- eMedicine http://emedicine.medscape.com/
Point of Care clinical reference portion of Medscape Medicine.
- K 4 Health http://www.k4health.org/
The U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID) Office of Global Health funds the Knowledge for Health (K4Health) project. The site contains e-tookits on various topics.
- Medscape http://www.medscape.com/
From WebMD (commercial provider), after one-time registration, Medscape offers free, original medical content customized by specialization.
- PubMed Health: PubMed Health: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/
PubMed Health offers up-to-date information on diseases, conditions, drugs, treatment options, and healthy living, with a special focus on comparative effectiveness.
- UptoDate http://www.ghdonline.org/uptodategrant/
The UpToDate International Grant Subscription Program provides one-year complimentary subscriptions to UpToDate(R), a leading evidence-based and peer-reviewed clinical information resource, to qualifying clinicians and organizations providing medical care or to poor or underserved populations outside the United States of America.
- FreeBooks4Doctors http://freebooks4doctors.com/
Free access to medical books over the Internet. Listing of over 600 free online books.
Free Journal Articles
- DOAJ Directory of Open Access Journals: http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=home&uiLanguage=en
Free, full-text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals, covering all subjects and many languages.
- Highwire: Highwire: http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl
HighWire Press, a division of Stanford Libraries, partners with others to facilitate the digital dissemination of 1464 journals, reference works, books, and proceedings
- Hinari: http://www.who.int/hinari/eligibility/en/
HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme provides free or very low cost online access to the major journals and books in biomedical and related social sciences to local, not-for-profit institutions in developing countries.
- PubMed Central: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/
PubMed Central is a free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
- Research4Life: http://www.research4life.org/
The collective name for the four programs - HINARI, AGORA, OARE and ARDI - Research4Life provides developing countries with free or low cost access to academic and professional peer-reviewed content online.
Patient Education Resources
Other Health Resources
- Healthcare Information for All http://www.hifa2015.org/
HIFA2015 is a campaign and knowledge network with more than 4000 members representing 1800 organizations in 157 countries worldwide.
- iSA http://www.theisaproject.eu/
iSA (International Support Action) is a Web-based collaboration project among medicine professionals, funded by the Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) of the European Union, which seeks the exchange of knowledge about clinical cases of patients seen in the hospitals of Peru, Mexico, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya and Sierra Leone.
- The Lancet Global Health Portal http://www.thelancet.com/global-health
Free access to the Lancet's World Reports and Perspectives articles plus The Lancet Global Health Series, and Regional Reports and Commissions.
- Meducation.net http://www.meducation.net/
Meducation.net has a Facebook page. Free sign up allows access to medical student resources.
- More full-text options are listed here at the Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce site: http://phpartners.org/howtoaccess.html