You are here
How do I create a TurningPoint (Clicker) presentation?
The School of Medicine uses TurningPoint brand audience response (clicker) devices for instruction and presentations. These devices are also available for checkout from the Health Sciences Library for use throughout the Health System.
The simplest way to create a presentation with the interactive elements required for use with the audience response devices is to load the free TurningPoint software (a plug-in for PowerPoint) onto the computer you will use to create and give the presentation.
However, the ability to install the TurningPoint plugin for PowerPoint onto Health System-managed computers is limited. Medical Education Support and the Health Sciences Library have teamed up to provide a solution for presenters and instructors who would like to use Library computers to create TurningPoint presentations. Follow the instructions below to see your options for creating TurningPoint presentations, and transform your next presentation into one that is able to identify and confirm participant understanding or preparedness, increase participant attentiveness, and gather, rank and report critical information simultaneously in real-time.
On your own computer:
- To install TurningPoint onto a Windows computer for which you have administrative rights, visit the TurningPoint downloads page.
- Once the software is installed on your computer, schedule an orientation session with Medical Education (for UME faculty) or the Health Sciences Library (all other Health System affiliates) to learn the basics of creating and using audience response software and devices.
On a Library circulating computer:
- TurningPoint software is installed on all circulating Health Sciences Library laptops. To reserve a laptop (and response devices, if needed), visit the HSL's Equipment Reservations system.
- Schedule an orientation session with Medical Education (for UME faculty) or the Health Sciences Library (all other Health System affiliates) to learn the basics of creating and using audience response software and devices.
On a Library lab computer:
- Log in to a Health Sciences Library public Windows computer. If you have not logged in to a Library computer before, take a moment to get an Eservices account first.
- On the HSL computer, open PowerPoint. From the File menu, select New, then My Templates, then select the TurningPoint_PPT_Template.
- When your blank presentation opens using the TurningPoint_PPT_Template, follow these steps to make conversion to the final presentation in TurningPoint easier:
- Duplicate the template slide types to match the number of questions you will be entering. There are three question types provided. Do not add additional text boxes. You may insert graphics or images, but be careful not to delete the title box, numbered item box, or graph.
- Replacing the sample text, enter question stem in the title text box.
- Then, replacing the sample text, enter answer choices in the numbered text box.
- Save question slides, then either open the finished presentation in TurningPoint, set the correct answers, and save as a TurningPoint file, or schedule time with a Medical Education Support or Health Sciences Library team member for assistance.
In order to set answers and reset questions so that they will work properly with the student response devices, schedule an appointment with a Medical Education Support team member: