You are here
How do I set up my iOS device (iPhone/iPod/iPad) for encrypted wireless (Cavalier) at UVa?
Follow the instructions below to register for and activate UVa encrypted wireless access via the "cavalier" network on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad while on-Grounds at UVa. This configuration tool also adds remote access to UVa-owned resources via the UVaAnywhere service, allowing you to connect to UVa-owned library and other resources when you connect from a wireless network off-Grounds. Should you encounter difficulty connecting to "cavalier," alternate instructions are available for the less secure process of connecting to the unecrypted "wahoo" network on an iOS device.
Note: This configuration requires a passcode be set and used for access to your device at all times. If you prefer not to have a passcode required, use the alternate instructions for the unencrypted "wahoo" network.
Before beginning, check that your device meets the minimum requirements to use ITC's auto-setup tool for encrypted wireless, Netbadge, and UVaAnywhere access. See ITC's information for more detail on the minimum requirements.
- Operating system: Your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad must have an operating system of version 3.0 or higher.
- Passcode auto-lock: your device is required to have a passcode set to auto-lock after a certain amount of idle time. Note: the auto-setup tool will configure your device to erase after 10 consecutive incorrect passcode attempts. If your device does get auto-erased, you may restore it via iTunes on the computer where you last synced it.
- Set your auto-lock passcode:
- On your device, tap Settings, then General, then Passcode Lock.
- Create and confirm a 4-digit numerical passcode of your choosing.
- Connect your device to a network. If on-Grounds at UVa, connect to the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network.
- Turn your device's Wi-Fi on: tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, the make sure Wi-Fi is toggled ON.
- To connect to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless, tap Settings, then Wi-Fi, then select the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network. Tap Join if needed.
- Open Safari, the default Web browser, on your device.
- Try to visit any website. You will be automatically directed to the UVa Network Setup page. Tap Continue under Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Tap Generate Your Configuration Profile to automatically install a UVa digital certificate which is required for access to both the UVa encrypted Cavalier wireless network and the UVaAnywhere remote access tool. Cavalier and UVaAnywhere access will be automatically configured through this step.
- Tap Continue or Agree when presented with the PKI Alert, Certificate Agreement, and Account Authorization screens.
- If you are not automatically directed to the UVa Network Setup page, visit it manually by typing in the following URL in Safari on your device:
- Enter the required personal information when prompted:
- Computing ID (such as mst3k)
- Last name
- University ID number (9 digits on the back of your UVa ID card or your social security number)
- Date of birth in YYYYMMDD format (such as 19820126)
- Current password on a UVa account (your UVa email password will almost always work here. Eservices and HSCS accounts also work)
- Tap Submit Request.
- You may be prompted for the 4-digit numerical password you set in step 1.
- Verify your connection to Cavalier and configure your certificate.
- You may need to return to Settings, the Wi-Fi to verify that you are now connected to the Cavalier network. If you are still connected to Welcome_to_UVa_Anywhere or another network, select Cavalier.
- When prompted to Install Profile, tap Install, then Install Now.
- Enter your UVa password when prompted, then tap Next. (Use the password you used to download the certicate, which was probably your UVa email password.)
- Stop here if you are now connected to Cavalier and can browse the Web!
- Connect to UVa Resources from off-Grounds via UVaAnywhere VPN
After completing the steps above, your iOS device is now configured to connect to UVa Anywhere, the UVa VPN. To access the UVa VPN on your iOS device, use the built-in Apple iOS VPN client:
When off-Grounds, on your device, tap Settings, then VPN.
- Slide to toggle the switch from OFF to ON.
Note the VPN only needs to be turned on when trying to connect to UVa resources from off-Grounds--the VPN will not work (and is not needed) when connecting on-Grounds.
If you have followed the steps above but are still not connected to Cavalier, try the steps below.
- Verify that you are connected to Cavalier by going to Settings, then Wi-Fi. If you are still connected to Welcome_to_UVa_Anywhere or another network, select Cavalier.
- If you are prompted for a password when connecting to Cavalier and see the following screen, tap Mode if set to Automatic, then select EAP-TLS.
- On the following screen, tap Identity (leave Username blank), and select the certificate you just installed.
- Tap Accept if prompted to verify a certificate.
- Test out your connection to Cavalier by browsing the Web with Safari.
- For help with wireless computer elsewhere at UVa, contact ITS at (434) 924-4357 or through the ITS Help Request Form.