You are here
How do I set up UVa Gmail on my iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad?
Request and configure a UVa Gmail account, then set up Mail on your iPhone or iPod Touch to connect to UVa Gmail. The built-in mail application on the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad can be configured to receive email from the UVa Gmail system. It is not possible to receive HS Outlook Mail on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad via this procedure.
- From a desktop or laptop computer, request a UVa Gmail account from ITC. UVa Gmail accounts are designed for students, but faculty and staff may also request UVa Gmail accounts through the link above.
- Log in to UVa Gmail at http://www.mail.virginia.edu.
- In the top right corner of the screen, select Settings, then select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab:
- Next to IMAP Access, select Enable IMAP, then click Save Changes.
- In the top right corner of the screen, select Settings again, then select the Accounts tab.
Note: You must reset your password inside of UVa Gmail on your computer's browser to access UVa Gmail on your iPhone or iPod Touch. It does not matter whether you reset to a new password or reset to your existing password, this change is necessary to inform Gmail of your password, since without this step, regular Netbadge authentication into UVa Gmail via the Web does not complete the setup required for mobile access to UVa Gmail.
- Next to Change account settings, click the Google Account settings link.
- Click the Security tab on the left, then Change password. Follow the directions to change your password.
- Log out of UVa Gmail, then exit your browser.
- Restart your browser, then log in to UVa Gmail at http://www.mail.virginia.edu. When prompted, reset your UVa Gmail password. You may set it to the same password as you use for other UVa accounts.
- On the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad tap Settings .
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap Add Account...
- Tap Gmail.
- Enter your first and last Name.
- Enter your full UVa email Address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Enter the Password you just set using Gmail.
- Leave the Description set to the default (your email address) or change it to UVa Gmail if you have multiple accounts on your device.
- Tap Save located at the top right of the screen. Your should see checkmarks appear beside each setting, indicating your account is configured and has successfully connected.
- Setup is complete. Press the Home button on your iPhone or iPod Touch to return to the application menu, then tap the Mail application. Select the account you just created, now begin reading and sending UVa Gmail from your mobile device!
For more information, contact the UVa Help Desk at (434) 924-4357.