You are here
How do I import video from a VHS tape?
The first step to making your old VHS tapes viewable and editable on a computer is to digitize the video. Use the Library's Media Studio's Macintosh computers and Canopus Converters, along with iMovie software, to digitize your video.
- Plug one end of the color-coded RCA connectors into the front of the Canopus converter labeled Audio/Video In. Plug the other end of the cables go into the back of the VCR in the VCR out receptacles. Be sure to remove any other cables that are plugged in the back of the Canopus converter.
- Plug the small end of the silver firewire cable into the front of the Canopus Converter. Plug the large end into the front of the Macintosh.
- On the Canopus converter, press the input selector until the blue light next to "Analog In" is illuminated.
- Turn on the VCR. Set the channel to L-1 using the channel selector buttons on the front of the VCR.
- If you are using the JVC Deck (pictured below) put the VHS in the deck and press the S-VHS button (circled in red).
- Open iMovie and select Import from Camera. Begin importing, then click play on the deck.
For more information or to request a consultation, contact the Service Desk at (434) 924-5444.