How do I import references into RefWorks or EndNote from the Web, PDF, or a Word document?
By using the Citation Finder in HubMed, reference lists from PDFs, or Word documents can easily be converted into search results and then imported into bibliographic management software such as RefWorks or EndNote. Note: this tool only works with citations which can be found in PubMed.
1. Go to http://www.hubmed.org/citation.htm.
2. Paste your references in the box and click "Submit."
3. You will then be asked if the information is parsed correctly.
4. Delete the citation(s) if not found.
5. Click Done to proceed.
6. The citations will be searched in PubMed using HubMed search interface.
7. Choose the citations that you'd like to export and click "Export Citations."
8. Choose "RIS (eg EndNote) format when exporting.
9. The citations will be saved in a file "hubmed_ris.ris."
- Under "References," select "import."
- Under Import Filter/Data Source and Database, select RIS Format. and find the file you just downloaded (name: hubmed_ris.ris) and click Import.
Click the link below to see the instructions that were developed by the librarians at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.